Sample This: Ion Fury (PC)

This is a gameplay sample for the Build-Enging running Ion Fury, a retro throwback shooter running on a retro engine. I just got this game a couple of days ago, and my first time playing it was yesterday. So far, I'm really enjoying this game. As you can tell, I don't know where many of the secrets are as of yet, and my actual save is only on the second level of the game. 
 
I am playing it on the second from hardest difficulty, but I keep dying a lot. For my own personal playthrough, I may set the difficulty a little lower for my first playthrough. I know, swallow my pride, but learn the game before setting it to a higher difficulty. 
 
 As far as retro throwbacks go, this is a really good one. I guess part of it is, it's running on the infamous Build Engine which powered games like Blood, and Duke 3D. This one is already my favorite retro throwback I have played so far, because it maintains the fast, in-your-face gameplay, fun gunplay with hordes of enemies to dispatch, and intricately designed levels to explore. I love it when devs give you a level, and say, "Have fun." There are some scripted elements here and there, but the overall feel so far is, you as the player, are open to explore however you choose. 
 
 My first impressions Ion Fury is that it is fast, well designed, and a whole lot of fun. If my opinion changes as I get further into the game, I'll let you know. However, so far, so good. My only real complaint is there is little indication when you are getting hit, and in the midst of battle, I don't look down at my life bar often. I tend to die a lot, because I didn't know I was low health. However, that's not a big complaint, and I just need to stop being a noob.
 

Comments