Sample This: Doom 3 (PC)

 

 

Showing a gameplay Sample for Doom 3 on the PC. 

 

I don't care who you are, I love Doom 3. It's not just because I once paid almost 2 grand for a PC that could play it, I have always found it to be a super intense, white-knuckle shooter. I do have BFG Edition on the PS3, but have yet to play it. I am one of the few that thought the flashlight mechanic in the original was brilliant. Yes, obvious gameplay mechanic gimmick to show off the real time lighting effects of id Tech 4, but man, does it add to the intense atmosphere of the game. Dark, spooky, and gritty in-your-face gunplay. 

 

I do agree that the weapon sound effects aren't great in the original, but the weapons are effective. Spooky surprises lie around every corner of the game, and new enemies are always introduced in epic fashion. 

 

When it comes to First Person Shooters in the post Half Life era, Doom 3 is one of my favorites from this era of shooters. I love this, I would say, often misunderstood era in FPS games. That post-Half Life, pre-CoD era/early 7th gen console era. Doom 3 is a product of it's era, and definitely has deep HL inspirations in it's design. 

 I know people say it's a good game, but not a good Doom game, but I disagree. While the game doesn't throw hordes of enemies your way like classic Doom, it does have a deepening, and worsening sense of Doom as you play further. It's gunplay, despite the weak sounds, can be just as intense as classic Doom at times. 

 

 Graphically, sure, the details haven't held up perfectly, and you can load a mod, or change the display settings through console commands to get it to display at modern resolutions, but the lighting and atmosphere are still amazing to look at and feel to this day. One day, I will play through BFG Edition, and will play it with an open mind, but ruining the flashlight mechanic ruins the intensity of the game for me, feel free to disagree.

 

The Bottom Line: I love this game. It's still one of my favorite shooters, and the lighting and atmosphere, intense gunplay, and solid mechanics make this game hold up to this day.

Comments