If only I was cool enough to be a geek today

Something has been brought to my attention again that I forgot about. I realized, after watching a few news videos from some popular gaming websites, that I'm suddenly not cool enough to be a gamer anymore. After watching their news vids, which usually feature some douchey guy (who is the only one who finds himself funny) or some blond-haired bimbo, neither of which know their heads from their asses in real gaming, trying to be funny and entertaining, I suddenly realized how ignorant the mainstream is.

Now that gaming has become "hip," and by hip, I mean phony, shallow, mainstream-hip, I'm not cool enough to fit in with a bunch of wannabe geeks. I guess I'm just saying f*** the watered down mainstream gaming crap, and f*** trying to be a "cool" geek. We real gaming geeks know who we are, and we don't need acceptance from a shallow crowd in order to be considered "geek" enough for them. I guess I'm neither douchey enough, nor ignorant enough to be a gamer anymore. I generally despise the mainstream of anything, but I really despise it in gaming.

I miss the days where gaming editors (I do not consider them journalists) had standards. Sure, the gaming magazines of old sometimes made some questionable reviews here and there, but at least they took their jobs seriously. They weren't trying to be cool.

Comments