A Clarification of When I Use the Term Underrated

NOTE: I'm probably going to be linking to this on my future Underrated Gems vids.


I have my underrated gems videos posted on youtube, and every so often there's some idiot there spouting review scores to me as to why a game isn't underrated. What those people need to realize is that I'm not talking about review scores. Granted, with the huge amounts of review score worship going on in today's gaming world with sites like metacritic (A site I personally can't stand because it breeds mindlessness), it doesn't surprise me that gamers instantly think of review ratings. What I really mean is overlooked, but hence why I say in the description:

This is a series of gameplay vids I'm doing highlighting overlooked games for the PS2.



The argument should be ended right there, but apparently people can't read.

Now you may ask, why don't I call them overlooked gems, well, because it essentially means the same thing in the modern vernacular. It's just a different way to say it.

Lets take for example the flip side of underrated. Lets say that Someone says "Green Day is the most overrated band of all time." is that person saying that Green Day is overrated because critics in a magazine or on a website gave Green Day a review score of a 10 out of 10? No of course not. They are talking about the massive hype and over-excitement of the fans who hype Green Day up to be the best band ever. It has nothing to do with review scores.

On the flip side, if you say another band is extremely underrated, is it because critics somewhere gave that band a bad review score? Again, of course not. It's because they can't get attention hence underrated and overlooked are used in the same way here.


Perhaps the best way to show that the common vernacular of the day uses underrated in the same manor as I do in my vids, lets go to the Urban Dictionary definition of Underrated. Here are the six most popular answers:

1. Cooler than most people think.

2. Something or someone that deserves much more respect than people will allow.

3. A website, film, television show, book, etc that is so good that the public barely notices how good the product really is.

4. Something or someone not well known by the mass public but of high quality.

5. Something that is better than most people think it is.

6. Means good but not publicized as much as other sh**,opposite of overrated.




Son next time I post one of my Underrated Gems vids, don't mindlessly spout review scores to me, and say stupid stuff like "This game got such and such score on Metacritic. NOT UNDERRATED!!!"

I'm talking about the amount of attention a game got from the general gaming public, not the review scores from a few magazines or websites. I'm looking broader than what you can apparently comprehend. It, believe it or not, goes beyond metacritic.

Comments

Anonymous said…
underrated--as you have defined yourself, and have referred to others' definitions to shed light on it's meaning--is a term, of which I have come to terms with. Meaning, i gives two fucks about what others think about a game, of which *I* know is good enough, just for fuckin me. In Fact, I have spent countless months of time, hanging on an empty quake 2, and quake 2 world server combined--just waiting and hoping for someone to agree with me, that those games are worth playing...along with me. DOH, i give.
LewisLongshanks said…
Review scores are for chumps anyway. I think we'd all suffice with a "buy it", "rent it", "avoid it" motto to games. It doesn't quite need to be anymore complicated than that.